Sunday, April 17, 2011

fairy tale scherenschnitte

As you may have noticed, I'm a devoted fan of the art of paper-cutting. I'm just a beginner myself, but I do enjoy trying out little projects here and there with my trusty knife.

For the fairy tale scherenschnitte swap I hosted recently, my partner mentioned her love of period films and dolls in her profile. This spoke of a certain sense of romance and whimsy to me, so I thought she might like the Cinderella image I came across.  I decided to do a simplified version of an Arthur Rackham silhouette from the early 1900s, cut out from textured white paper and mounted onto pink card stock. I had to add a couple little dabs of additional glue after I took this photo, but overall I think it turned out pretty well (though perhaps could use more added detail in the interior space?) and it's now on its way to my partner in Malaysia. It looks like Cinderella and her prince are having a grand old time at the ball, doesn't it?

I have to apologize for my absence lately, too. I've been a little distracted between lots of good books to read and a little project that I'm launching soon, but I do have photos saved up to share that will hopefully get posted without too much delay.

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I have so many things that I want to do, but have to many things that I am doing...not enough hours in a day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Are you familiar with Hans Christian Andersen's paper-cuttings? I think you would like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful. I love them, but have never tried my hand at it.

    Also, I have awarded you the Kreativ Blogger Award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am so impressed. This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's beautiful! I'm a huge fan of cut paper art. Have you ever seen Joe Bagley's work? (I think that's his name.) I follow him on Facebook. Amazing work. Your so-called simple paper cuts are reminiscent of Joe! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, thanks so much everyone. I like Joe Bagley's work a lot, CR, and Hans Christian Andersen is the whole reason why this swap is existed in the first place Moosecastle! It's an amazing art form and I do like fiddling with it every once in awhile.

    And thanks so much Mama Hen, that's so sweet of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently ran across someone else who does paper cutting. I'm fascinated. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...