Monday, January 17, 2011

mockingjay pin

I finally read Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games last year and was blown away by how spectacular it is. It's the story of a post-apocalyptic world in which teens are chosen to outwit each other in a vicious survival game, and where winning the televised competition literally means the difference between life and death.

Each contestant is allowed to bring one memento from home, and 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen chooses to wear a mockingjay pin. The bird is evolved from a crossbreed between a mockingbird and a jabberjay, a bird created by the pitiless Capitol to spy upon its citizens. As such, it is something that should not exist--and it eventually becomes a powerful symbol for the revolution.

I loved the first book in the trilogy, which is incredibly bleak and violent and sad. As soon as I finished it I had to look for a mockingjay pin, and sure enough, there are licensed pins, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings. (There should be more merchandise to come, since the book is also in the development stage for a film.) I ended up buying a pin from an Etsy seller, though, because I liked how the metal looked and the idea of supporting an independent artisan. I usually link the sellers I buy from, but in this particular case I won't, since the pin actually arrived separated from its pinback and it was a bit of a hassle to get a partial refund. After consulting a lot of different people on the best adhesive for this sort of thing, I was able to mend it (I think) with E-6000 glue.

I love it though, so in spite of the annoying buying experience I'm glad I got one. If you're interested in seeking a similar pin for yourself, there are a number of other mockingjay interpretations on Etsy as well. And if you haven't read The Hunger Games, do. It's unforgettable.

5 comments:

  1. Really pretty pin! It reminds me of the pin I got from my penfriend for Christmas, because it's also golden. And I have heard about the book, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your pin experience, although it seems that your resourcefulness won out. That sounds like an interesting book too, I love post-apocalyptic stories so I'll be on the lookout for this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first book is really amazing...I hope you have a chance to try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM JOSH HUTCHERSON'S BIGGEST FAN!!! Josh if u ever read this PLEASE reply!! that would make my life complete!:)<3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I've read the books four times and seen the movie three times and in my notes I have a biography on josh Hutcherson when the hunger games came out and when catching fire comes out and I have that in my calendar. Can't wait until august 18 for the hunger games on DVD and November 22 for catching fire to come out btw team peeta all the way! AND IM THE BIGGEST HUNGER GAMES FAN AND JOSH HUTCHERSON FAN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...