Monday, March 28, 2011

little house votive: 5 minute craft

I thought it'd be fun to decoupage a votive candle holder, so I purchased a clear glass one awhile back. It's been hanging out in the craft closet until this cold and windy weekend, when I decided it was time to see what I could do with it.

I measured and cut out a Garth Williams illustration from a yellowing copy of Little House in the Big Woods along with some text. Using Mod Podge and a soft brush, I painted the whole glass with a thin layer of glue. I then carefully placed the cut paper onto the glass and brushed on several more layers of Mod Podge, allowing them to dry between coats. (I replaced the chapter header "The Long Rifle" with the book title as well.) The whole thing took around 5 minutes, not counting drying time, and it's probably one of the most satisfying crafts you could do for under a dollar in materials.

When the candle is lit inside, it all looks appropriately old-timey and warm with light glowing through the vintage paper. So simple, so pleasing.

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely! If you haven't done so already, you should check out the History Chicks podcast...they did a great episode on Laura recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you--and thanks for the tip! I always love to check out new Laura news. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...