Friday, July 16, 2010

book package

I like receiving presents in the mail...but I also like sending them. My dear friend Beth is a wildly artistic person with a great sense of humor, and someone I kept thinking about when I read Kathryn Stockett's funny and poignant The Help. (In a day and a half, mind you.) I loved the book so much, and I knew she would, too, so when I saw a great copy in a secondhand shop I had to snap it up and send it to her as a surprise.

I really like recycling vintage books that are damaged as wrapping paper, and for this I used Ramona Quimby, Age 8. The two drawings I chose for the front, Ramona and her father drawing their feet, and the Quimbys having a nutritious-but-off-putting dinner of tongue, are really appropriate for Beth. It's wrapped with striped yarn and a vintage Cracker Jack charm, and the postal lady nearly had a heart attack over how cute the padded envelope was adorned with stickers from The Small Object. I like to think of people smiling at the fat, cheerful package as it passed through their hands...perhaps it helped to get it safely across the country, too.


3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful package,
    i love the recyclable wrapping paper and the kind thoughts behind it.
    i am positive that it will produce a smile!
    t.g.i.f.
    xoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who comes in contact with your lovely package is sure to smile. And your friend Beth is one lucky person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She loved the package! The book is going with her to the beach, which is an appropriately hot and lazy place to read it.

    Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...