Tuesday, December 8, 2009

homemade peppermint marshmallows

As an enthusiastic omnivore, I always like getting food as gifts. After I began cooking and baking a few years ago, it became really fun to give food as gifts, too.

We were invited to a hoopla this evening, and as a thank you I brought along these peppermint marshmallows made  from this Martha Stewart recipe

I'd never made marshmallows at home before, and it was absurdly easy...except that I waited too long to stir in the red food coloring that was supposed to make the lovely marbly swirls that made them "candy cane" marshmallows. When Martha says "work quickly," she means work quickly. Next time I think I'll just dye them pale pink or pale green.

But they tasted really nice, all scented and pillowy and dusted with pixie dust--er, confectioner's sugar. I also crushed some candy canes to sprinkle on top, so they were very pepperminty indeed. We've eaten several out of the pan, but can't wait to have them melting in a cup of steaming hot cocoa.

Update: we had a pot of chocolate. With many, many marshmallows.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...