Sunday, February 27, 2011

oscar menu

It's Oscar night! We went by the Mr. Brainwash mural on La Brea avenue last week to snap photos. I'm kind of hoping Banksy shows up to claim his Academy Award tonight for Exit Through the Gift Shop and announce that the whole thing really was just a hoax.

If you haven't already seen the documentary, I highly recommend it--it's a fascinating and surprisingly funny look at underground street art.

On Friday I suddenly had the urge to do an Oscar menu, so tonight we're having:

Black Swan Wings
Winter's Bone Marrow
The King's Speck-Wrapped Asparagus
Deviled Dragon Eggs
Sean Parker's Appletinis

I was going to make a The Kids Are All Right heirloom tomato salad, but there wasn't a decent heirloom to be had in all four places that I looked today, so we're just having a smoked mozzarella and regular old grape tomato salad instead.

9:00 pm EST: updated with photos! The black swan wings were a little frightening to look at, but that's part of the effect we were going for; I used a marinade of soy sauce, sesame oil, chili oil, oyster sauce, salt and pepper, and a little food dye. I wasn't a huge fan of the rubbery eggs (which I only simmered in the dye for 30 minutes and did not flavor), although the marbled effect looks really cool.



1 comment:

  1. Very creative menu, looks like you had a fun night!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...