Tuesday, October 5, 2010

little house package

I received a lovely, lovely package this week from a new friend. Naomi and I bonded instantly over Anne Shirley and Laura Ingalls Wilder after she joined the Hundred Acre Wood swap-bot group, and we decided we needed to do an exchange.

She sent me the most amazing parcel full of goodies inspired by the Little House books. (This is not part of the Christmas swap I previously mentioned, but a whole separate thing.) I can't even begin to describe the amount of thought and care that went into this.

Naomi sent:

-- handmade bookmarks with autumnal Little House quotes and images
-- ribbons of hand-punched lace
-- a tiny packet of sewing notions
-- vintage Betsy McCall paper dolls
-- cards
-- and so much more.

Every single part of this parcel was so lovingly put together that I opened it as slowly as I could so I could savor every bit of it. Even the packaging was done in a way that is reminiscent of those times, very simply wrapped with tissue paper and with gilt edges and silver card.

My favorite part of this package, however, has to be all the wonderful tags Naomi attached that featured handwritten quotes from Little House that explained why she chose them.

From the be-ribboned Rose card (the name of Laura's daughter) to the "carved" button like the one on Aunt Docia's dress, to the big black button that might've come from Pa's overcoat...

The items here are similar to other modern things I've seen that have reminded me of Laura as I've gone about my everyday life, so to meet someone else who is reminded of the same sort of thing is pretty amazing. We are never really as alone in the world as we think--and that is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...