Saturday, May 22, 2010

vintage gloves


Some of the nicest afternoons we've had involve our spotting signs by the side of the road and suddenly pulling over. During today's jaunt around the city, we happened upon a sign for a yard sale in a very promising part of town. Hancock Park is full of beautiful old houses and meticulously manicured lawns, so we had to at least have a look. 

As it turned out, the sale was fantastic. Several sellers appeared to have banded together and set up racks and tables full of vintage clothing, housewares, jewelry, and furniture. Most everything was in great condition, and it was fun to poke through old craft supplies and books, as well as to try out fancy hats that were much too small for my head.

I did find two things which made me very happy, though--these lovely pink vintage gloves in absolutely mint condition, still in the original packaging. I'm not sure that they've ever even been tried on, the creasing is so perfect. I have a number of vintage gloves already, so I was also excited to find a long, lovely painted tin glove box to put them in. Vintage gloves vary quite a bit in price, but these certainly should have cost much more than the $5 I paid for them. But I think the lady who sold them to me was happy to give them up to someone who was clearly so giddy over them.

I haven't been able to find too much information about Crescendoe, which boasts of its "beautiful quality gloves...made of unusually fine cotton doeskin-like fabric." I think they might have been based in New York, and I've seen Vogue and Life ads from the 30s through the 50s and 60s. Such lovely lady-like things...it makes me hanker for days gone by.

I  do have to confess that although I've been collecting vintage gloves and handkerchiefs for many years, I've yet to actually wear them anywhere. What occasion would be appropriate in modern everyday life? I haven't been invited to it yet. One of these days I'm going to throw a fancy ladies' tea party and everyone can come all gussied up with her pretty gloves and flouncy skirts and floppy hats. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG they are divine! If you ever have your fancy tea, I am SO there. With my best bonnet on too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...